Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One Little Spark

My earliest memory, and I mean EARLIEST, is of Walt Disney World.  I was four years old when my parents brought me to "The Vacation Capitol of the World" and believe it or not, there was only two parks back then.  Most people would expect that those memories would mostly consist of the Magic Kingdom, but the only things I remember of that park was the Haunted Mansion and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

My memories were of EPCOT Center.

I remember nearly everything  of my time in EPCOT from the Mickey Mouse comic book I got from The Universe of Energy to the Communicore.

My favorite attraction in EPCOT was Journey Into Imagination. When some people think of the Mad Tea Party and Dumbo when thinking of Disney World, I thought of Journey Into Imagination.  Specifically, I thought of a duo who was special to me, Figment and the Dreamfinder.

For those of you too young to know who that is, the Dreamfinder was the guide through our imagination and the creator of Figment, a tiny purple dragon who and, truly he was the heart of the attraction.  To me, Disney World was represented by the footage of the duo touring Future World, and especially the shot of them going through the Rainbow Tunnel in the aforementioned Imageworks.

I've always been of the opinion that the Dreamfinder should have a triumphant return ever since he was removed in the late 90's.

Fast forward to the present, and the grossly overpriced D23 Official Fan Club of Disney had an event celebrating the 40th anniversary of Walt Disney World.  Part of this shin dig was a concert by Disney Legend, Mr. Richard Sherman.  Richard Sherman is responsible, with his brother, for writing many of the most memorable songs you have ever heard, including, "It's A Small World", "Zuckerman's Famous Pig", and a score of others.  With that said, it reportedly came as a shock to Disney management (some of who had never heard of this character), when Dreamfinder (played by the original actor who portrayed him in 1982) got a reception akin to a rock star when he made a surprise appearance to sing the iconic song, "One Little Spark".

Just watch this video and tell me that Dreamfinder isn't still a loved and viable character (at the 1 minute mark):

Insane, right?

Now i know that our pleas are probably going to go on deaf ears, but I still have hope that we will see Dreamfinder once more.  I mean, it is how we got the new TRON movie, by audience reaction.

So please, help this broke nerd relieve his earliest and most fond childhood memories by tweeting @WaltDisneyWorld telling them how much we want to see the Dreamfinder again and use hashtag #TeamDreamfinder .  Our collective imaginations might be enough spark this wish of mine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment