Friday, May 13, 2011

I Have Gas

I have news for you.  Gas prices are going up.  Oh, you already knew that?  Then I suppose it isn't news, but Fox News sure thinks it is.

I was recently in the break room eating my lunch when the TV nearest to me flashed and a title card warning me of a "News Alert" appeared.  I wondered what had happened that warranted an alert of such magnitude when it just turned out to be another one of those stories that do every day telling us what we already painfully know: Gas prices are going up.

I understand why they would want to report on this, but why treat the situation as if it has never happened before and we all should be shocked by this information? 

I couldn't hear what she was saying, but the anchor had a smile on the whole time she was talking about this.  This isn't good news, so I hesitate to imagine what she was thinking while she was reporting on this terrible news.

Then they cut to some "expert" in the field, like they always do.   Do these experts EVER say anything that is different for the reasons behind the gas prices?  Do they ever accurately predict what will happen with the situation other than a vague, "It's going to get worse?"  Why are these talking heads necessary to explain to me something I already know?  It's as if they hired an expert guest to explain to me that the sun had come up and this is why and now I'll speculate if it will do it again tomorrow. (Spoiler: It will)

The whole time this is going on, there is freshly shot footage of people filling up their cars at the gas station.  Now, I did notice that a lot of people shake the pump before finishing up and that is news to me, but I know that the process for fueling my vehicle is.  Why waste money shooting other people doing it and then looping the same thirty seconds of footage over and over?  I know you have more.  I know over the years that there are entire vaults with nothing but footage of people shaking their dribbling gas nozzles into their tanks, so why not use that footage?  In fact, I would like to see this footage and I hope it dates back to the late 70's with people shaking their nozzles into a nice 70's Mustang and shaking their heads because they have to pay for gas that was a whopping $1.05.

I know this is a little off topic.  I'm broke and gas has a lot to do with it, but I just wanted to get this observation off my chest.

I get it news people, gas is expensive.  Leave it alone and report on something that we can do about it.

Watch this spot and hopefully, I can write my impressions of the Gears 3 Beta and the new Foo Fighters Track Pack 4 for Rock Band 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment